From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:07:17 -0400
>Her next door neighbor's house caught on fire. The other neighbor
>came and banged on her door to get out, now. Kat grabbed a carrier
>and stuck what she thought was all her ferrets in the carrier.

Steve and I are so relieved that all in Kat's family are safe!

Fires are why our ferrets go into their very large (and complete with
toys inside) cage when Steve and I are both asleep (The overlap is
about 6 hours because he goes to bed earlier than I do.) Some folks
here will recall that besides previous experiences we had reminders
in a recent year when we wound up with three problems close together.
First there was a furnace malfunction and a fumes problem, then a
nearby condo building burned, and then a neighbor had a new thermostat
installed but it was done wrong at both ends. Luckily, the end by the
furnace burned because that was the safer place for an electrical fire.

Anyway, we learned the hard way that if there is smoke in the air, or
if alarms or sirens are going off one of our ferrets panics completely
and pushes himself as far back as he can under some deep furniture.
Now, imagine if that happened at night. Remember that in fires the
lights tend to fail often. Just imagine trying to find the ferrets by
feel in even just one entire room. So, when we are asleep they are
caged because our experiences have been such that we consider them
safer that way, and we keep a carrier and a lowering rope for the
carrier right on top of their cage.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
Recommended ferret health links: