From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:35:33 -0400
Alison and Jason Overstreet wroe:t
>We are kicking ourselves that we didn't speak up more about her living
>conditions.  (I filled her water bottle myself before we left.) We didn't
>know how to approach this man without offending him, but still want to help
>the ferret.

It always seems to be a touchy subject when you want to educate someone in
dire need of it.  I like to ask people I start talking about ferrets with

in pet stores  if they have email or internet access, then I tell them how
wonderful the FML is, and how informative the FAQ's are.  (This can be an
approach even if they don't have email/internet access.)

 //Begin enthusiastic gush mode

"You know, I love having access to the Internet.  I've found so much
information out there that I just don't see in the books!  One of the things
I found really useful was a ferret FAQ one of the subscribers compiled.  It
had so much information, it was like a book itself!  Would you like to know
how to get a copy?" (if they have access, whip out the instructions on how
to request subscription to the FML/email requests for the FAQs out of your
purse/wallet-carry these instructions with you at all times, since you never
know when they'll come in handy!  If they don't have access, offer to print
out a copy/copy to diskette, and send to them.)

"If you want, I can bring you a copy /mail you a copy." (Here's your chance
to get their contact info, or offer them yours.)

 //End enthusiastic gush mode

OK, you get the idea.  You tell the person about this wonderful resource
just the same way you would tell your best friend who didn't know about it,
even if her ferrets were well cared for.  You can't make them read the
stuff, but if you make it easy for them to get to it, the odds of them
reading it and learning will go up.

-Ilena Ayala