From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:01:35 -0500
Someone thoughtfully wondered (was it you, Wolfy?  Sorry, I forget!)
whether the ingredients of commercial cat foods have changed over the
years, possibly contributing to decreased longevity in ferrets today.
This brought to mind something I'd read about a dramatic increase in
aflatoxin in American corn crops in recent years.  I just found the
reference, which is quoted below.  It's just three paragraphs from a
233 page book, so I'm sure it's well within the guidelines of fair
use.  [The full quote seems fine.  BIG]  But in case BIG disagrees,
I will paraphrase:

Aflatoxins have been linked to liver, pancreatic and other types
of cancers in laboratory animals.  Aflatoxin is produced by a
toxin-producing rust (a fungus) that can infect any grain crop.  In 1998,
62% of the Texas corn crop exceeded "allowable" levels of aflatoxin,
rendering it unfit for human consumption.  Guess where this toxic corn
goes?  You guessed it: to the pet food industry!  Might there be a
connection to the increased incidence of cancer in our pets in recent
years???

The following is a quote taken from a book titled Neaderthin, by Ray
Audette (St. Martins Press, copyright 1999), pages 54-55:

"From the corn fields, one of the most potent cancer-causing agents known
to science is coursing into the nation's food supply." ("Corn-Crop
Peril," Wall street Journal, February 23, 1998).  The 6,500-word article
this quote is taken from refers to aflatoxin, a substance produced by
asparilla rust (just one of several types of toxin-producing rusts that
can affect any grain crop).  This rust is a fungus that affects corn
and other crops, such as peanuts, under certain conditions of heat and
humidity.  Aflatoxins been linked to liver, pancreatic, and esophageal
cancers in some of the laboratory animals tested.

In 1998, 62% of the Texas corn crop tested exceeded government-approved
levels (20 parts per billion) of aflatoxin ("Texas Journal," Wall Street
Journal, July 29, 1998) and was deemed unfit for human consumption.  Some
samples tested indicated levels as high as 1,000 parts per billion.  Most
of the rejected grain had aflatoxin levels of fewer than 300 parts per
billion and was approved for sale as animal food.

The American dog population has considerably higher rates of cancer than
humans in this country (ask your vet).  Consider also that the most
common ingredient in commercial dog foods is this cheap, contaminated
corn.  While the connection between canine cancer rates and corn
consumption has not been adequately researched, many dog-food producers
are preemptively replacing corn with rice in their formulations.

(end quote)

I did a Google search on aflatoxin and found studies done by several
researchers who believe that aflatoxins not only cause cancer but also
reduce resistance (in humans and animals) to some types of bacterial
infections and other diseases.  Food for thought - or is it grist for
the mill? (puns intended ;) ) in the discussion of corn in pet foods!

Nancy and critters