Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:11:44 -0500
Our ferrets have never been mistaken for rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas,
seal pups, dogs, or cats, but just today our veterinarian told me she had
put Ben's picture on her bulletin board and had been asked if Ben was a rat.
A few years ago, we were taking a walk and the ferrets were riding on Bill's
shoulder.  A man pulled his car over to the curb, rolled down the window,
and asked if the animals were monkeys.  Another time, Bill was approached by
a curious person who asked if they were lemurs.  I've lost count of the
number of times I've explained that ferrets are not rodents.  Most people
seem genuinely interested in the ferrets.  Most think they are very cute,
although there was one person who actually had the nerve to call them
"vermin."

Clare Sebok