Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:00:15 EST
Heart stick

We were at the ever expensive emergency vets one night. Tiger had not
been able to walk on his hind legs for a few days. Everything was set
up to spend an evening just holding and comforting him in his final
days.

But he started screaming. I phoned ahead to apprise the staff of the
situation. Instead of an I.V., they did a heart stick only. The first
one that had him screaming in pain did not work. So they jammed another
one in him. It was horrendous. I drove all that way and paid a small
fortune to make his ending comfortable and without fear. And THIS is
what I got.

Yes. It is still a sickening memory. He trusted me. And this is what I
did to him. But I was not given a choice. This was an emergency vet I
did not know. And of course, the bill for causing him such pain was
over $300. This was years and years ago. I wanted to punch the woman in
the face who proclaimed herself to be a vet that could not be bothered
to care about a stupid ferret. I felt utterly helpless.

Lisette