Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:12:13 -0500
from post [From Sukie]
>(BTW, I recently learned from JM that the concept that IBD can lead to
>later lymphoma in a small percentage of ferrets is still just a
>hypothesis; boy was that a relaxing thing to learn.  I know that some
>hypotheses pan out, but others don't, so I find that knowing one from
>the other helps a lot in dealing with the medical problems of ferrets,
>expectations, and worries.  Since others and I have mentioned this here
>before maybe knowing this about IBD will also help someone else feel
>more relaxed.)

You can be assured this is a reality.

My ferret Ashlee was diagnosed with IBD via lab tests ( Dr Williams
reviewed the tests) and in the end her intestines ( upon necropsy) were
ravaged by lymphoma a short 4 months after the initial test.  I witnessed
the necropsy after her release from the debilitating condition.  I only
wished I had had the strength to release her earlier -It can happen!  and
now I understand why she cried upon attempts to defecate!

Alicia D