From:
Lynn Chaplick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:54:12 -0500
This is a response to Caitlyn Martins post about pet stores.  I agree with
what she said.  I do not have any local ferret shelters in my area so I got
my first ferret, Taz, at our local pet store.  My 2nd and 3rd ferret just
happened to be taken out of a home of someone going to jail by the spca,
only because they had 3 dogs and the neighbors reported that, when the spca
went in they found the two ferrets.  And my others I have been lucky enough
to have met people on line who were looking for homes for theirs.  I did
buy one baby in Dec because the pet store was mistreating her.

Some people don't always know about shelters so when they are at a local
mall they see the ferrets there and most of the time that is where they get
them from.  I do not flame anyone for getting them at a pet store as three
of mine did come from there, but now that I know of a lady on the ferret
board she fosters them and she always lets me know how many and what kind
she has and I take one or two.  This weekend I am actually taking three of
her boys she has.

I don't know where you live Caitlyn, but where I live there are no ferret
shelters within 100 miles, only two spcas that have dogs and cats, so for
me, the first ferret had to come from a pet store.  Then I got online and
found ferret central, the ferret store board and places where people look
for homes.  I don't think we should flame anyone for the way they came to
get their fuzzy, as long as they are loving, caring, housing, feeding, and
making sure it gets all medical attention needed.  I am not saying that if
you have a shelter then you should still buy from a pet store, but if you
do not have a ferret shelter and the only way to purchase a ferret is thru
a pet store then so be it, no need to flame people who do it for that
reason.

I just wanted to put my "opinion" in on this matter, and let Caitlyn know
that not all people flame for pet store purchases.

LYNN & BRAT PAK