From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 19:23:26 EDT
Well, the tiny terror of Stamford has a name and a wonderful new home.  I
picked up the lovely Miss Farina Sunday morning and drove her the 90 miles
to Enfield to her new life.  I have never seen a ferret so scared, she was
shaking and cowering in the back of the carrier when they first brought
her out to me.

Farina dug at the carrier though much of the trip but I would talk to her,
tell her how beautiful she was, and say that she had a new forever home
with a loving family.  She would calm down for a while but she never did
go to sleep.

When we arrived at the pick up location I decided to actually touch this
fierce animal.  She came out and started to lick my hand, not a "lick,
lick, chop" but sweet little kisses.  Unfortunately, her too long nails
got caught in the hammock and she got upset.  The end result was it must
be "the hands" fault and she bit.  It hurt and she did lash out several
more times but then she would let me stroke her and hold her.

Her new Mom Dawn was happy to meet her and we agreed that this biting will
end.  I think she was terrified and angry about being "jailed" for 4 weeks
and having her family of 4 years dump her.  I'd lash out too.  We don't
know what her life was like prior to her arrival at AC and we know she
sure didn't like it there!

Thank you to everyone for the offers of transport and adoption.  She is
a wonderful little girl that's had it pretty tough.  May the rest of her
days be filled with love, raisins, sunshine, raisins, and love (and more
raisins)

Connie, Butch, Maggie, and CB
"I am sometimes asked, "Why do you spend so much of your time and money
talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?
I answer, "I am working at the roots."
George T. Angell