Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:20:09 -0800
Hello All,

I posted this on the FHL but often I get really sage advice from the
FML and so I am posting here also. Also, I have added a few details
here not available/allowed when I posted on the FHL. Dee Dee 7 year old
MF female. Kidney cysts on both kidneys. Big cysts. Started out she had
a red butt not really prolapsed but very red, slightly swollen and
irritated. I was going out of town. I put Preperation H on it but she
licked it off so I just soaked a cotton ball with Witch Hazel and held
it on her for a minute for relief. It seemed to work. Took her to a
ferret knowledgeable pet sitter (instead of leaving her with the one
who comes to the house) who said she was fine after two days. I
returned 5 days later. She was not better in my opinion. Apparently we
see things differently as I really trust her as a ferret person. Very
red and puffy butt. She was wobbly. I thought maybe because she had
been in a cage instead of free roam although she was getting out 4
times a day. Put her on Pepto bismol. In 2 days the redness was a
medium/mild pink but her gait was wobbly and she would only walk about
5 feet and flat ferret. Very alert though. I took her in to UC Davis.
She had blood work, urine analysis and Ultrasound. Blood work normal,
BG okay, urine okay. The SG had dropped a bit in the 9 months since the
last analysis but nothing alarming. Weaned her off the Pepto after 5
days but within a day her butt was irritated and she was straining
again so put her back on for one dose a day. The vet said I could use
Pepto or carafate. I thought carafate was only for the stomach not for
the intestines and such. Can I get some feedback on that?

Her rear weakness continues. Now a week later, she is only going about
5 feet and can't really walk. Kind of paddles sideways. She can push
off my hands with her hind feet. She uses them well for scratching and
stuff. I pinched them. She has feeling. She will stand on them when
held upright.

She is very alert. Her poop is jelly like and only small nickel sized
dabs. Medium color. It was lighter, but it isn't really black. Appetite
is really good.

Any ideas what could be going on here? I suggested a round of pred but
haven't gotten an answer on that. What do you guys think? I am afraid
that within a day or two she will quit walking and start dragging
herself as she is just about there now.

thanks,
frustrated, Mary Jo

ps I heard from my vet she wants to do x-rays under heavy sedation and
neurological tests and no pred. I think she is off base and doesn't
know what to look for at this time. I am thinking of taking her to a
different vet at this time with more practical knowledge of ferrets.
Please email me directly if you have any ideas. You can post also if
you wish but time is of the essence, thanks in bunches MJB