From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:58:58 -0800
A bit late on some replies I'm sure since we were at the Lansing, Michigan
GLFA show this weekend.  Nice show.  It was really a pleasure reseeing some
of our midwest friends we haven't seen in a while.  It was also a great
pleasure to have some in depth discussions with the GLFA folks.  They seem
to be progressing quite nicely as a group and with their shows.  I won't
announce winners as I usually do from shows I attend as I didn't get all of
the names of either ferrets or people.  Two of our friends from the general
DC/Virginia/Maryland area did take home some nice trophies.  Diana Bachman
from Hagerstown, MD took home Best of Opposite sex in kits with her hob
F.F.'s Couvassier of FPF.  Frettchenmeister's Wolfschmidts of JBF got the
same honor in the adult breeder class for Vickie McKimmey of Lucketts, VA.
This hob also took first in Blaze specialty.  I know this second ferret as
he rode up in our van and shared a hotel room with me.  He's taken blue
ribbons at several other shows as well.  Judith Saunders who reads this list
was the breeder.

>From:    Anatole Mori <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE Treatment Update (long post)
>Mookie, Maia, Poppy, and Sabrina (all happily unexposed and loving it)

Glad to hear that Sabrina is well.  We do worry about our little ones even
when they become someone else's litle one.

>From:    Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Harvey is losing hair
>He told me to watch her over several months to see if she gets worse OVER
>TIME.  If it is adrenal, isn't time of the essence here?

Not really.  Adrenal surgery can be delayed for a while.  When symptoms
first occur it is difficult to tell which of the pair is affected.  Let
vets though overrule my opinions.

>From:    "Holmquist, Maxwell R" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Uwe has passed away :-(

Its quite sad especially when its your ferret but ferrets from anywhere can
end up being more sickly and dying younger.  Happens in other species
including humans as well.  We do not approve of many of Marshall's practices
but in general their ferrets are very good ferrets.  We recommend hobby
breeders as the first source for ferrets, if there are any in your area and
second, ranches where you can alter the ferret later.  But the early altered
ferrets, while they seem to have more problems than the others, are fine.
Since there are more ferrets coming from Marshall Farms than any other
source, the law of averages just works at inopportune times.

Our condolences.

>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: This is agonizingly cute
>Last question: Hey, you can use woodstove pellets for ferret litter?  We
>have a wood stove--can you burn them *after* you use them???  <g>

Well when they are used they are sawdust and "chunks" not pellets anymore.
Also the thoughts of burning that particular "liquid" remind me of
unpleasant smells from boyhood antics involving the human version of that
liquid and campfires at boyscout outings.  No thank you....

>From:    Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferts and dogs
>Hi all!  Well, here I sit reading my FML when I should be getting ready to
>leave for the show..... :)

Hi Tracy!

At least you were near your computer...  we were miles and miles away...

>She is a Chinese Shar Pei and was 6 weeks old when we got her (she's now
>2 yrs).

Saw these pictures of this dog with ferrets.  I HAD to comment with the name
they gave this beastie... Killian's Red - no she didn't know us then.

Missed your daughter's name but she was a very nice girl...  Never been
good with names.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/