From:
The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:08:05 -0700
Okay, this will probably get me slammed, but its a subject near and dear.

I am in the Las Vegas area.  I am the last of three ferret shelters
(including the HUGE 24Carat Ferret who took in hundreds ferrets a year
until, sadly, closing), left in our area.  Add to that, Ferrets magazine
interviewed the owner of a local pet store who practically brags about
Las Vegas being one of the biggest of ferret markets.  You have no
concept of how furious I was.......am (outraged at the situation, not
the magazine!).  Hundreds, yes hundreds of ferrets are being destroyed
in this city partly because of people like him.  If you have a hundred
bucks, you can have a ferret, no questions asked.

Of course the 'consumer' is largely to blame.  If there is no profit in
selling something, it doesn't get sold and the market dries up.  Now that
does not mean I don't think we should have ferrets.  They are great pets.
There's way too many impulse buyers.  The old "isn't that cute!' buyers
who don't have a clue and it's cute only until they are tired of it or
it gets sick, which we know all ferrets do.  And I understand wanting a
baby, I truly do.  But the vast majority of turn ins I see are not from
dedicated ferret people or people who have fallen on hard times, had
problems, etc.  and can't keep their loved ones.  It's the 'I don't
want it, don't have time, etc., etc.,'s that are swamping me.

›Part two|

As for the breeders........ I too boycott Marshall Farms.  But to be
fair.......every time I see an ad or learn of a new ferret breeder, I
send them a letter or an email and ask them two things:
1-are you marking your ferrets in some way so that I may identify them as
originating with you and
2-when I have one of your ferrets turned in are you willing to take it
back or financially support it.
In 12 years never once has a breeder answered yes to number 2.  I have
found that most shelters require you to return a ferret you have adopted
from them, to them, if you can no longer keep it.  See a difference?  We
do what we do for the love of the ferrets.  The breeders???????????

So what to do......education?  Absolutely!  I hand out hundreds of our
Ferret Basics each month.  I talk, give presentations, demonstrations,
any where and every where some one will have me and I can get to.  Apply
pressure to our local governments to try and get protection for them?  Do
that too.  But realistically, and I hate this, our ferrets are headed the
same way of the cat and dog population problem.  As of yet I don't think
that one has been solved either.

What can you as responsible ferret lovers do?  What you are doing right
now.  Learn everything you can about our beloved friends.  Talk, talk,
talk to anyone who will listen.  Support your local shelters however you
can.  Watch those pet stores, make complaints - to the authorities if
need be.  And don't ever forget how strong we truly are as a group.  And
more dedicated group I have yet to meet.

Sincerely,
Brenda, Momma to the FurpeopleWeyr
http://pages.prodigy.net/furpeopleweyr/index.html