From:
"B. Ludt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:40:46 -0500
I (Barbara) take full responsibility for not getting this update on BEN
posted sooner--still having email problems (messages are arriving 2-3 days
after sent...argh!) and it's been just a wee bit hectic here with fuzzies
at both the Woodland Retreat and Dook Nook shelters.  But I digress...

Jackie and I picked up BEN from UF/VMTH on Monday afternoon.  Starting
with the technical stuff first (much of this being taken directly from the
Therapy and Expectations section of the case facts as provided by UF/VMTH):

The specific diagnosis of BEN's problem is an oronasal fistula.  Drs.
Bennett and Pye reconstructed BEN's palate with a "sliding flap".  Two
teeth (upper left molar and third premolar) were pulled to allow
positioning of the flap.  Unfortunately--although the fistula was
completely covered after surgery--the far edge of the flap has begun to
break down...most likely due to BEN irritating the area with his tongue
(sorta like what we humans tend to do when we have a tooth pulled--always
poking around the hole even though we know we should leave it be).  Part
of the fistula has reopened and it will be necessary to perform a second
surgery to repair the area.

Allowing BEN's mouth to rest and keeping food out of his mouth for up to
four weeks will facilitate the healing process.  Thus BEN needs to be
fed @ 15ml of (slightly warmed) A/D every 4-6 hours followed by a 3ml water
flush.  He gets supplemental water (about 6-8ml) between feedings to ensure
proper hydration.  He needs to be weighed daily to make sure is maintaining
his weight on the above protocol.  The area around BEN's esophagostomy tube
must be kept as clean as possible as it will be kept in place until after
a possible second surgery in four weeks to facilitate feeding after that
surgery.

Of course BEN's also on an antibiotic to help prevent a bacterial infection
associated with oral surgery from occurring.  The Clavamox is also
administered through the feeding tube and flushed with 2-3ml of water;
twice daily for approx. ten more days.

BEN has been somewhat lethgaric after surgery (heck who wouldn't be after
all he's been through!) but he will continue to get weekly re-checks by
Debbie Kemmerer DVM where we'll also be monitoring his CBC over the next
few weeks.  Drs.  Bennett and Pye expect that BEN will eventually be able
to eat; drink and do everything a normal healthy young ferret can do but
will reassess his situation and possibly schedule him for additional
surgery in four weeks.

We've additionally giving him ANAFLORA's Post Surgery Flower Essences to
help him on an emotional; mental; and spiritual level during his lengthy
recuperation and tube-feeding period.

On a more personal level--Jackie has graciously volunteered to take over
BEN's daily round-the-clock nursing care.  So most further updates on BEN's
progress will be from Jackie and what's she's observing daily.  In speaking
with Jackie earlier today she said BEN stayed up for about ten minutes
following one of his feedings...that's encouraging!  Since BEN does seem
somewhat depressed--and we realize it's difficult for him to get
comfortable due to the positioning of the feeding tube.

(As an aside to those of you who are also members of AFA--coincidentally
the most recent issue of AMERICAN FERRET REPORT (Vol. 11 Number 1) which
I *just* received two days ago has a wonderful photo review of an
esophagostomy feeding tube placement--provided by Peter G. Fisher DVM
(Virginia Beach VA).  Definitely worth a look to those interested in BEN's
case.)

Additionally it must be confusing to BEN to be able to see and smell food
but not have any available to him.  Believe me it's extremely difficult for
both Jackie and I to see his comfy ICU cage without either a water bottle
and/or bowl!  Arrgh!  One of the Ten Commandments of ferret ownership: Thou
MUST provide fresh clean water 24/7!

We will be sending a few additional photos for inclusion on BEN's section
of Mike Janke's Ferret Health Care website--but we'll leave it up to Mike
to announce any updates to the site as he has very limited available time.
We understand digital photos were taken during the surgery itself and
Jackie and I intend to HUMBLY BEG and PLEAD with UF/VMTH to allow us access
to a few--with full credit being given for use of said photos.

BEN's been such a sweet mellow guy through all this that Jackie and I just
can't see stressing him out during his recovery period--just to get our own
pics of the inside of his mouth right now.  So please be patient in waiting
for those photos...if nothing else we'll take photos during the final
surgery when Dr. Kemmerer removes his feeding tube.

Guess that's all for now....I'll step down from my soap box as Jackie
ascends for BEN's next update....(hopefully tomorrow).

For The Ferrets
Barbara