From:
Avatar Comics <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:12:59 -0600
I was curious if anyone has any tricks to get their little ones to take
the tablet medications?  I've been crushing them up and mixing in with
the Nutrical, which works sometimes, but other times he's too smart to
fall for it.  Any suggestions?

My ferrets hate all medications (even Amoxi) and they won't eat Nutrical
so this is what I do:

I crush up any pills into powder then I cut the end off a 3cc syringe (you
can get one from your vet) and pack a little chicken baby food into it.
Pull the plunger back and put your meds on top of the baby food then pack
some more baby food on top.  Presto - a baby food/medicine sandwich!  Now,
catch the ferret and wrap him snugly in a towel to prevent escape, leaving
only his head exposed.  Pry his mouth open (watch out for the pointy
parts), and shoot the contents of the syringe into the back of his mouth.
Insert the syringe from the side.  With my ferrets I try to make sure they
swallow before I put them down, usually they gag and make a face and then
go "Hey, that was baby food!" I came up with this system to give my kids
Panacur (a powdered antibiotic) because we have had several rounds of
giardia since we moved to Colorado.  With my ferrets I have to use the
towel-and-medicine-to-the-back-of-the-throat technique for Amoxi as well,
I just make sure I hold their mouths closed and see them swallow before I
put them down.  If I don't they burp up Amoxi all over the floor...

I hope this helps!

Serena and the Wrecking Crew:
Conan the Destroyer "Who, me?"
Elvis the Bear "Can I help? Can I help?"
Little Miss Crockett "Give me a raisin and nobody gets hurt."
Mathayus the Scorpion King "It's PLAYTIME!!!"