From:
Maureen Henn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:46:06 -0800
This is what I found on 3 websites I trust & have used in the past
(within 5 minutes, might I add). If my doc told me to give up ANY of
my pets for whatever reason, you better believe I'd do some research
before just handing them over.

Ferrets do possess toxoplasmosis in their systems. However, unlike
cats they cannot release/ shed the infected eggs back into the
environment, they hit a dead end, so humans cannot catch the
disease. (source: http://www.ferretuniverse.com/health/index.asp)

Toxoplasmosis is a disease which is sometimes spread through animal
feces, especially cats'. It's nothing to worry about, unless you're
pregnant, have a very young child, or have a weakened immune system --
it's very dangerous to a human fetus in the first stages of
development, it may be dangerous to infants and toddlers, and it's a
concern for those who are HIV+. Ask your doctor if you think you might
be susceptible.

Dr. Bruce Williams, DVM, says:
Toxoplasmosis has been reported twice in ferrets. Ferrets will not shed
the toxoplasma organism to the extent that cats do, but if they are
exposed to cat feces, they may contract the disease and shed very low
amounts of oocysts.

Here's the bottom line. Because of the devastating effects that
Toxoplasma can have on a developing human fetus in the first trimester
you don't want to take ANY chance at all on exposing [a pregnant
woman] to Toxo. So [someone in the household who isn't pregnant]
inherits all litterbox duties for the next nine months. Actually, she
probably stands a higher chance of getting Toxo from poorly cooked
beef. The doctor says - if she's a carnivore - better get used to
well-done steaks...
(source: http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part5.html#toxo)

Ferrets cannot pass infective toxoplasmosis oocytes in their feces
(Dr. Bruce Williams). To contract Toxoplasmosis from a ferret, one
would have to eat poorly cooked ferret meat. If you are pregnant and
concerned about this disease, have your husband or SO clean the litter
boxes. (source: http://www.miamiferret.org/faq.htm#toxoplasmosis)