From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:12:09 +0800
>From:    Scotty Witkus <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Hi, all.  Anubis my 10week old MF male boy is nipping!
>
>I got him when he was around 8wks old and he never nipped till just
>recently.  Is there a reason?  Maybe i played a lil rough with him.  When
>ever I tell him no he seems so much more determined to nip even more!
>what should i do?  the sour apple doesnt work, well it does for about 10
>minutes and then he's back at it!

lol!  The reason he is nipping is because he is 10 weeks old!  It is a
baby thing.  All baby ferrets do this (well - most of them anyway).  They
go thru the "terriable twos" just like kids.

When he grabs your hand, try gently putting your fingers in his mouth
(don't gag him tho) and gently push down on his lower jaw.  This takes his
ability to put pressure back onto your finger (he has no leverage this
way).  Let him spit your fingers out of his mouth.  When you put your
fingers in his mouth tell him "No bite!" or "No!" or something to that
effect - whatever works for you.  If he nips you - do not set him down.
That teaches him that the way to get down when he wants to is to nip you.
I am sure others will have suggestions on how to nip train.  This is just
what works best for me (after years of trying other way).  Whatever system
you choose - BE CONSISTANT!