From:
Latas Kimberly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:57:31 -0600
I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but my dad was an
MD; and with humans in a hospital setting the bill was usually for the
entire cost of the 'package' of medication or tools or whatever... simply
because there couldn't be a justification for using "used" meds or goods
to the next patient.  I mean, imagine how you'd feel if your prescriptions
were cobbled together out of three or four other peoples leftovers?  There
also is no way to be certain a med would still be sterile... no way to
know if one batch number of one bottle of something mixed with a second
batch number of another partial bottle of something wouldn't contaminate
the first, etc.  etc.  This thinking applied right down to the boxes of
kleenexes and q-tips at the bedside... (the thermometers always go home
with the patient, right?  because who'd want someone elses used rectal
thermometer?) and so forth...</DIV>

Its actually a very sound procedure to always use a new bottle/set/pack
of whatever it is in a hospital situation.  Thats why many many companies
are now packaging things in "single dose units" these days,,, just so the
patient doesn't have to pay for more than they actually use.

Sure, it's a shame you have no use for the leftover ringers lactate or
whatever... but if the case with Luna was they'd billed for the entire
bottle and had leftovers maybe the least they could have done was give
you all the partial bottles to take with you since you'd paid for them!

Latas Kimberly