From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:51:16 -0500
> From:    Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
>
>... My vet says he can do the cryosurgery; but in his experience,
>animals with no remaining adrenal glands do not live for very long,
>even with the hormone replacement therapy.  I would like to hear from
>anyone who has had ferrets on hormone replacement therapy due to loss of
>both adrenals.  What has been your experience?  Do they survive for very
>long?  I'm just weighing all my options.  I want to do what is best for
>my baby.

Hi Holly,

I can't speak for anyone else here, but in my experience....

I have had several ferrets undergo bilateral adrenalectomies (both
adrenal glands removed).  All have had cryosurgery for the right gland.

I've only had one that needed any hormone therapy.  She is currently
5 1/2 years old.  Her adrenal surgery was in September, 2002.  She gets
1/4 tablet of Flurinef (sp?) every day and is just fine.  She's just as
active as my other ferrets that are around her age.  Once we got the
correct drug and the correct dosage, everything's been fine and there
is no noticeable difference between her now and before her surgery.

So...First, don't just assume your ferret will definitely need hormone
therapy.  Second, if s/he does - there may be little or no difference if
quality or quantity of life with the therapy.  Third, make sure your vet
has enough experience doing cryosurgery on ferret adrenal glands.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Kim

"My administration is about the end of fear. It's the
beginning of hope. Reconnecting America with the  world in a cause of
peace."
  -- Dennis Kucinich, Candidate for President, 2004
     www.kucinich.us

"If you don't vote your heart, your heart doesn't win."
  -- Dennis Kucinich, December 6, 2003