From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 18:22:15 EDT
Last December while I was on vacation, a call came in for an emergency
pick-up of three ferrets who had been abandoned when the owner was in effect
evicted.  My ferret sitter who also does foster work for our shelter went
and got them, and I came home to a few more than I had left.  Anyhow, a
couple days later the "owner" of the ferrets got in touch with me, claiming
that she wanted them back as soon as she could get settled.  I offered her
an EXTREMELY reduced boarding rate($10 per week total!), but told her she
needed to come over and sign a boarding agreement.  She said she would, then
didn't show.  I left repeated messages for her, and finally assumed the
ferrets were abandoned.  Since then we have had a surgery for one to remove
a cancerous tumor ($400), a surgery for another for an adrenal ($200), and
constant supportive care for the last who just couldn't handle the stress of
the move at 6 years old (jars and jars of babyfood for mush, and lots of my
time).  Lets put it this way- even if she WANTED- BEGGED for these ferrets
back at this point, there is no way I would give them to her.  She hasn't
made any attempt to contact me in six months, and as far as I am concerned,
that is NOT a person who deserves to own three of the sweetest, most loving
ferrets on the face of the earth.  The adrenal is being loved by a foster
family, the tumor is being adopted by an FML'er, and the stressed one is
destined to stay here as a permanent shelter ferret.

-Anne