From:
Marion Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:53:10 +0000
Hi, I am posting to the lady (I can't find her name now) who had two
ferrets who are not descented.

When I got my two girls, Thelma and Louise, I was told that they were
descented - turned out they weren't!!  Louise had to go in and have hers
removed as one of her glands ruptured.  The pain this little girl went
through was unreal.  I almost cried every time she had to pee or poop.  She
would make little squealing noises everytime she had to go to the bathroom.
She was fine after two or three days - she took 3 out of 4 stitches apart
twice!  I guess all I am trying to say is that if you DON'T have to have
them descented, please don't.  Thelma is still intact and has never sprayed
(yet, knock on wood!).  My vet told me that the older the ferret, the
harder it is for them to be descented because their glands have had a
chance to mature and grow, etc.

This is not a flame of any kind, I just wanted you to know how hard it can
be on them.

Good luck with your decision.

Marion