From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:10:24 -0400
A light mist drifted over the meadow as Bridge Greeter No. 421 dozed in
his chair. The stars were twinkling and the moon was resting low on the
horizon. He never seemed to be able to stay awake when he had to work
nights. But, The Boss said he should at least be at the bridge if
someone found there way there during the night hours, but He didn't
say he had to stay awake.

Suddenly No. 421's eyes opened wide. What was that shuffling sound?
Sounds like something being dragged along the planks. It was dark and
he could not see very well. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"Hello," No. 421 said in a very loud voice. "Who goes there?"

"A very soft voice answered, "It be me, Max, and I'se bringing my
placemat with me. Who is you and where am I now?"

No. 421 looked down at the little face and said, "You are at the
Rainbow Bridge. I did not get a notice that you were coming, what
happened?"

Little Max said he didn't know, he was doing fine one day, then he went
to sleep and here he was. "I just had time to take my placemat with me
and here I am and I 'se all alone."

No. 421 put his big fuzzy arm around little Max and the two walked back
over the bridge to the big gate. The Receiving Angel was asleep at his
post and No. 421 touched him lightly on the shoulder. Hey, wake up,
where is Little Max's ticket?"

The Receiving Angel woke up with a start - "How did you get here," he
asked. "I must have been asleep." No. 421 told him not to worry, just
look up the ticket.

"Okay, here we are - you have a lot of family already here," the Angel
said. "No. 421, call the currier, have him round up Booger, Maxine,
Maxi, Pepper, Fritz, Prince, Bear, Buddy, Misty, Snowball and Shark.
Tell them to hurry to the bridge."

No. 421 went back to his post and called his currier. "The poor little
currier arrived with one slipper on and one slipper off, and still
wearing his jammies. "Round up these fuzzys and meet me at the Meadow
of Dreams," No. 421 said. "And hurry - we are already late. You need to
get this family together before they find out at the Big House I was
sleeping on the job."

The poor little currier was still half asleep himself when he began
knocking on the Maronese mound door. "Hey Maxine - wake up the crew
and come to the bridge, Little Max is here. You'se has to greet him."

"What," said Maxine. "At this hour - we is all asleep. Oh, alright,
we be there."

A very sleepy assortment of ferrets arrived at the bridge; some still
in their nightclothes and waited for No. 421 to cross back. Maxine's
hair was standing on end, and she did not have any makeup on. Booger,
Fritz, Prince, Bear, Buddy Misty, Snowball and Shark just stood there
leaning on each other.

Max came plodding over holding on to No. 421's paw. "It's Max," shouted
Bear. "How you doin' Buddy - Great to see you, Welcome to the Rainbow
Bridge." There were hugs, dooks and tail wagging all around.

"Come on, we'll take you to our mound, and Maxine will make an early
breakfast," said Buddy.

"Sure sure," Maxine said. "Maxine will make a big breakfast while
everyone else visits. Some things NEVER change. Seems to me I did
this at Mama Maronese's house to."

Max took Buddy's paw and started down the path. "Wait a minute - I
needs to send dooks back so my family knows I has arrived safe and
sound," he said. "No. 421, would you tell Star, Lady, Princes, and
Angel I miss them, and my Mom and Dad I love them." Tell them I has
arrived safely and is with my brothers and sisters. Send them special
dooks and lots of love till we meet again."

With that the happy crew left for the mound and a big breakfast. They
had a lot of catching up to do.

Bridge Greeter No. 421 sat down again in his chair and thought about
what he would have for his breakfast. He thought he might go fishing;
a nice trout would taste good with his kibble.