From:
Angela M Lovallo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:28:22 -0400
Hi All Great Ferret Lovers :o)

I am in need of a litte help, it regards my little man Pete, and thought
you would be the right people to ask.  Pete is a sable, about 3 1/2 years
old, and normally has a very beautiful coat.  It is extremely soft, with a
pure white undercoat, and long black (soft) guard hairs.  His skin is the
purest pink, always soft and smooth (that is when you can see it through
his thick coat).  Over the last couple of days, I have noticed, that there
is a line that runs across his back, between his front legs that is loosing
fur, and the skin is not as smooth.  At first I contributed it to his ruff
playtime with his big brother Bear, who always comes away with some Pete
fluff in his mouth.  Not to mention that Bear always keeps Pete's ears,
head and back clean and smooth.  Then I thought it was because we have been
going for a lot of walks and maybe his leash was rubbing his back.  Or
maybe that it was because we just had bathtime, which means another dose of
Advantage.  We only take baths as need, once a month or longer if possible.
The rest of his coat is fine, including his tail (I have really been
watching that for any hair loss, as a sign of adrenal), and he has always
been a fairly itchy ferret and no more so now that when I got him as a
baby.

So my question for you great wise one's is could it be a sign of something
more serious?  He is acting normal in all other ways, and I have been
keeping a very close eye on him.  But, are there other signs that I should
be watching for, maybe specifically related to diseases that normally
start showing up around his age?  Any and all thoughts would greatly be
appreciated, as I like to try to keep ahead of the diseases if possible.  I
will be reading the posts, or can be email privately at: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for all your help.  Extra hugs and kisses to all the fuzzies out
there, and extra prayers for all those that are sick, homeless, or in need
in anyway.

Angie