From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:12:14 -0500
Hello all.  Need your prayers and any helpful input for a ferret buddy.  My
best pal brought her 4 fuzzies to the vet to participate in the new trial
vaccine from Merial, and one had a severe anaphylactic reaction, and his
hind legs are paralyzed.  So far, of the hundreds tested, all have come
through fine, except for Mishka.  Even her little female, who reacted badly
to her previous distemper vaccination had no problem.  Merial has been
great, very supportive, and concerned.  The vet reacted immediately, gave
pred, oxygen, Benadryl, etc.

The vet kept Mishka (and the female, just in case) overnite, to monitor
personally.  Mishka seemed to be doing well until the loss of his hind-end
function the following morning.  He seems dazed, is eating Duck Soup and
drinking from a syringe.  Pulls himself along, poops and urine output
normal.  The vet is suspecting a clot generated from the reaction - hind
legs are cooler, oximeter reading very low on the hind legs, so heparin
therapy has been initiated as well.  We would appreciate any assistance,
helpful suggestions, any offer of hope - anyone have a fuzzy go through
this post reaction paralysis and recover ??  Even I had an anaphylactic
reaction to a tetanus booster years ago, and almost died, but I recovered
fine.

Please don't anyone get crazy over this - remember that we were losing
lots of fuzzies to the other vaccine, and all of us with fuzzies who had
experienced bad reactions still feel that the new one is a blessed
alternative.  also remember, that is why these trials are done.  If no one
was brave enough to take the chance, it couldn't get approved.  None of
mine (even my insulinoma girl) had any problems this time.  I will continue
to take mine for the Merial product - but I will premedicate with Benadryl
first.  Thanks