From:
kewlkritters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:25:38 -0800
Today I had to go to downtown Portland to pick up some paperwork.  Took
the metro light rail system (MAX).  The stop I get off at (Skidmore
Fountain) is where a lot of transients, homeless, and derelicts congregate
(kinda like skid row).  Before the train even rolled to a stop I saw
something that made me smile.  A cute ball of white fur tethered to one
of the local transients.

Made my way over and asked if I could pet the furball.  Playfull little
sucker.  A sweet dispositioned albino male (he said it was a girl named
'Sassy').  Fert appeared well cared for (given the circumstance) and
seemed happy, alert, and playful.  We talked for a bit about ferrets and
how I volunteer at a ferret shelter.  Then it was off to do what I
accomplished.

Before leaving the area I stopped back to say goodbye the guy and his
fert.  He was repacking his belongings and was in the company of another
homeless man.  'Sassy' was all cuddled up in the mans backpack.  The guy
proceeded to tell me how he and his friend were leaving Portland.  A
relative was meeting them and they would be leaving for good.  For where?
Sacramento, CA !!!!!!

My heart was in my throat as I explained the CA problem and how it may
affect his fert.  He was stunned.  He cuddled the little furbug and
started to cry.  Other people came to see what was wrong and 2 confirmed
hearing about the 'difficulty' of legal ferret ownership in California.

The man didn't want anything to happen to his furkid.. didn't want to
take a chance.  He didn't want to just give it to another person without
knowing if they would care for it.  I explained the shelter option.  We
spoke about 20 minutes on different options he may have.  With tears in
his eyes he handed the little furball to me.  I was almost at the point
of tears myself.  I told him I would take the fuzz to the shelter and try
and find a good home.

He shook his head and yelled "NO!" loud enough to hear throughout the
station.  No shelter.  He wanted me to take the furball and give it a good
home.  He said he didn't trust anyone but after seeing how I treated the
ferret he trusted me.  He valued 'Sassy' more than anything, or anyone,
else.  He was entrusting me with continued care, and love.  Me .. a total
stranger.  I gave him my word.

Picture 2 grown men crying on a railway platform petting and cuddling a
ferret.  I opened my backpack and put 'Sassy's' food and blanket inside.
'Sassy' and hooman said what may be their final goodbyes.  He lovingly
put 'Sassy' inside my bag as the train arrived.  As the train pulled out
he stood on the platform crying and waving good-bye.

I wonder what people on the train were thinking seeing me sitting on the
train, crying, while strange noises were coming from the backback that
was moving around on my lap.

Fuzzball, who is definately a boy, is now snuggled in his blankies in a
quarantine cage in the kitchen.  His health seems real good except for
the rainbow poops from eating cheap food.  I've altered his name a bit to
remind me of the man and the meeting.  So, please meet SACRAMENTO.

I feel so bad right now knowing that this man entrusted me so much, yet,
like so many homeless I see on the streets, I don't even know his name,
but I will never forget him or our encounter

Warm Fuzzies ~!
--
Kevin B and the Way Kewl Kritter Crew
~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Cuddles~Java~Miss Priss~Cinna~Racer~Patch~

Fosters - ~Stubbie~Sheba~

Guardian Fur-Angels - ~Furrice~Lady~Yogi~Nippy~Carri Jo~Putsie~Alyssa~Zeus~
~Rascal~Socks~Muttley~Dookesbury~Little Boy~Willie~Robin~Christina~
~Simon~Sasquatch~

Please see KITY=^..^=KAT's Fur Faces, Memorial for Zeus
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2396/zeus.html
KRITTER KREW -
http://hometown.aol.com/kwildheart/myhomepage/pet.html
Prayers to the ill and those who have gone before us.  Hug your fuzzies
while you can, hold them in your heart when you can't.