Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:30:09 -0500
Today was Cinnamin's follow up visit with the opthamologist and everything
looks great with her eye.  Definately lost all vision but she's back to her
normal bouncy self and acting as if nothing had happened.  He seemed to
think though, that she might have already had a cataract forming in her eye
before it was injured.

But Snow and Cinny are having fun...they've adjusted to all the stress
fairly well.  They have also seemed to become lap ferrets during this time,
which I'm sure is caused by everything that has happened.  But to be
honest, I'm enjoying the cuddle time with them :-) I'm also very surprised
at how little they eat and poop...after having so many at once, it's kinda
strange adjusting to just two again!  I'm definately going thru empty nest
syndrome!

My teenage sister in law - against the wishes of her mother - has adopted a
pit bull puppy.  The puppy has learned very quickly that he's at the bottom
of the totem pole in this house.  Ferrets first, then cats...then the dog.
LOL...I did get a good laugh when we attempted to introduce them...Snow
went for the back of the puppy's neck...Cinny went for his brow.  We
seperated them quickly and the only thing hurt was the puppy's ego :0)
Don't think my sister in law was too happy knowing that her "ferocious" pit
bull was "beat up" by 3 pounds of female ferrets!  LOL Now he just stands
right outside their cage and barks at 'em and tries to play...but he won't
get too close to the cage :0)  Never fear, he's learning to love - or at
least show a very healthy respects towards - everyone in the family...
including the ferrets....but he'll never play with them without very close
and constant supervision.

Oh the controversy...

I saw Modern Ferret at the pet store today and immediately turned to the
centerfold.  At first, yes I was shocked, esp.  since I'm not into gorey
stuff and have a very weak stomach.  Then when I looked at it better, and
put everything into context, I realized this is nothing more than a
ghoulish staging.  I've seen much worse..and much more realistic staging..
in the annual haunted houses around these parts that many pre-teens
attend..and I've seen much worse in movies that many people allow their
young children to watch.

I can only repeat what others have said...warnings went out last month
about the upcoming issue, warnings are on the cover of the magazine.  If
you are at all squeamish or offended by an obviously fake haunted house
"butcher scene," then do not look at the centerfold.  My hypersensitive 12
year old daughter was not at all offended or disgusted by the centerfold..
this coming from a kid who cries hysterically if she sees someone cutting
down a healthy tree or littering..or being cruel to so much as a bug.
However, if you don't want you or your children seeing this, that is your
choice.  Just remove the pages.  (Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm of the opinion
that a responsible parent will preview anything they allow their children
to see and will remove any offensive material.)

That aside, please keep in mind that although it is a Halloween themed
issue, this magazine contains a lot of very useful information, much that
could help your fuzzy live a longer and happier life.  Instead of getting
all upset about something so insignificant as a Halloween scene, spend your
time and energy with your fuzzys.  Believe me, they will not always be
around for you to cuddle and love.

Still missing her wild bunch....

Mary Reeves, aka Shadra
Check out my ferret page!