From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:12:26 -0700
In a "big rig" brake pedals are (usually) more like a car's accelerator
pedal... with the "hinge" at the bottom rather that the top, which makes
it impossible to rest a guarding foot underneath the pedal.  (Clutch
pedals are like a car's but used only to come to a stop, not to shift
through all gears.) In our Pete we had to construct a barrier from the
base of the brake & accelerator pedals up to the bottom of the dash
(which was something of a chore to block off).

We also had to barricade access to the underside of the driver's seat to
keep the fuzzy little butts out of the movable parts there.  Since this
is something that's always bouncing and has to be adjusted considerably
shorter for me to drive, the barrier had to be flexible, but still ferret
safe.  To accomplish this, we used a small mesh chickenwire covered with
cloth.  This type of barrier can be stapled to wood or screwed to metal
and can be adapted to just about any shape of opening or area.
Chickenwire should not be used uncovered as the twisted wire easily hangs
ferret toenails.

Sleep sack type hammocks hung in the sleeper closets provide cushioned
"car seats" (and usually still leave room for clothes to hang).  Add a
litter box & a closeable wire door to the closet opening and you have a
built in cage for those times you're out of the truck & don't want the
fuzzy editing your log book or nosing through things you haven't put away
yet.

Please bear in mind, pet carriers do NOT provide crash protection.  They
only prevent flight (and then only when buckled in... if not buckled in,
they are a deadly flying object capable of killing human passengers in a
crash.  A box of tissues on the rear deck can break the neck of a front
seat passenger.) ALWAYS hang a hammock for ferrets in a carrier to avoid
slinging them around with unexpected sudden stops.

For those FMLers having trouble coming to grips with the concept of having
a ferret loose in a moving vehicle SAFELY: It CAN be done... it MUST be
CAREFULLY and THOROUGHLY planned and practiced BEFORE ever leaving the
driveway.  I DO NOT recommend doing it just for kicks or just
occasionally.  This is a situation where the vehicle is equal to a home.
It's been ferretproofed and this is where the ferret and ferret owner
LIVE for a considerable, consistent period of time.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home

Practical & easy training, care, & maintenance articles available at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/