From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 14:39:27 -0700
Hi All,

I'm short on time as usual, but want to thank again those who've lent and
are lending support.  Thanks for the prayers Chris, and your help, Dr.
Williams.  The thought that it is septic meningitis, and that he can
recover, over time, from this is encouraging.  Thank you Amy and Katie for
your encouraging story about Boots becoming paralyzed and recovering to a
great extent - these types of stories keep me going!  LISA, I'm sorry I
haven't written back, but your letter helped very much - calls are always
welcomed, crying or not!  Though, after holding Squeek and sobbing for a
couple days, I came home with a new attitude and realizaiton he needs me, at
least, to be positive, with lots of cheerful affirmations and encouragement
- so that's what he gets!

VETS or anyone: My biggest concern right now is that one of my vets has
increased the prednisone two times.  Last Wednesday, May 1, evening, Squeek
began getting 25 units of prednisone total per day/half morning/half night.
On Friday the vet said to increase the dose to 100 total units, 50/morning &
50/night.  This Monday he said to double the dose to 200 and call in a
couple days.  A friend of mine was on prednisone and became felt ill the
whole time.  Are we within safe zones?  I just have bad feelings about this
dose, in terms of long-term affects; not to mention that the little
sweetheart doesn't need to feel any sicker than he is.  Is this the right
protocol?!  I told the vet I'd rather administer less and see a slower
recovery, but he said it's not a matter of time, but of having enough to
make an impact.

VETS or anyone: MITEX, which is mainly pyrethrines - Squeek fell ill
following one administration of this.  Anybody see any connection, such as
ototoxia of the middle ear and subsequent vertigo (which would be horrible
for Squeek, *sigh*)?

I wish I was seeing more signs of increased mobility and weight gain.
Squeek was born February 23, which makes him 11 weeks old, and he still
weighs one-pound one-and-one-half ounces (half an ounce gain in two weeks).
The poor little guy wakes up and tries to walk but rolls around.  We're
continuing PT and stimulation.  He's still maintaining standard bodily
functions.  He's still giving me kisses, but he doesn't seem very happy.
Bless you all for your support.  It's not getting any easier, especially for
poor Squeek.  He does have more energy, which is a good sign, and from a
physical standpoint (temperature, energy) he's vastly improved.

*Big sigh* for little Squeek, bless his heart.  And thank you all so very
much.

Lynn, Squeek (mom), Claudette, Petey (Squeek's special buddy), Minnie (the
sister tormenter) and the rest of us.