Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:52:12 -0400
In early January, someone was looking to find a temporary home for Spaz
and Mocha. The son was in boot camp and his friend was taking care of
them, but the mom said they had to go. As my husband works in Red Bud,
he picked them up.

When we got the ferrets, they were originally brought in a cage full
of cedar, their nails were long, they had been eating probably what
appeared to be Walmart food and Mocha was almost emancipated!. Spaz
appeared to be pretty good but both ferrets probably weren't let out
of the cage as they had problems walking. Mocha and Spaz were both
starved. I think that they were fed occasionally and Spaz ate what he
wanted and Mocha ate what was left over.

Mocha seemed to eat and drink often. Think she was probably mute, too.
When taking them to the vet, Mocha weighed only 8 oz, but should of
been in the 2 lb. range. Spaz was 2 lbs., 4 oz. As her blood sugar was
50, we did start her on prednislone. As she also pawed at her mouth,
also gave carafate and pepcid AC. The pawing got better. After having
them about 2 weeks, Mocha quite suddenly got sick and died within about
12 hours time. I was shocked as really thought she was improving. She
still had a problem with her hind legs, but seemed better.

Spaz appeared to be okay in the beginning. Couldn't handle being around
my other ferrets, as he would scream, and still does that to this day.
My ferrets think he's crazy and pretty much leave him alone. Spaz ,
pretty much has to be handfed. He will eat the chicken soup, if I hold
it for him. I've occasionally seen him eat ferret food and have bought
all sorts of different kitten and ferret foods to see what he would
eat. I got a little girl from the shelter thinking he needs a
companion. After 3 weeks, that's not working. I've put his cage next to
the other ferrets cage to see if he will see them eat and see they're
not evil. Nothing works!

Last night, Spaz attacked the little girl and so decided he needs to be
caged alone, so put him in a different cage. Today he's seemed to taken
another step back again. I saw him pawing at his mouth again. He hadn't
done that in weeks. After feeding him this afternoon, he walked a ways
and then fell on his side. I petted him and he seemed to be okay, but
then did the same thing again. I had given him carafate after seeing
the pawing, fed him and then gave some pred as have been trying to
spark his appetite, again.

I had taken him to the vet maybe 3 weeks ago and he couldn't find
anything wrong with him. Had even tested his poop. His sugar was 90,
even after the stress of being at the vet. He seemed to be better for
a while. He suggested to try the pred for a while. Quit giving the
carafate and pred maybe 2 weeks ago, and he's been okay.

He hasn't lost weight and his poops go from very loose to fairly
normal. Nothing consistent.

The kid from boot camp called last week. He is supposed to get out
soon. This is the first I've heard from him. The last I heard from his
dad was a few days after I got them, in January. Could it be that Spaz
is still missing his original owner?

I am so frustrated and don't know what to do anymore. Anybody have any
suggestions? I feel really bad as can't figure out what's wrong. This
ferret never plays and never runs. He does roll over on his back on
occasion when we sit together on the couch. The young soldier said he
used to run free in his room before he left and he played hard. Think
he has been gone since maybe Sept. or Oct.

HELP!!!!!!!

Connie