From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 20:19:29 -0400
Ok you lawyers out there, I have a question.  The MI law regarding a ferret
bite to a human to be in accordance with CDC guidelines which is the
Compendium of Animal Rabies Control.  The Appellate Court recently ruled, in
effect, that the current Compendium is the one that shall be used.  Since
1994, I believe that the Compendium calls for a risk assessment to be
performed (I couldn't find my 1994 Compendium, but I verified that the 1995,
96, and 97 do call for a risk assessment).

Now we apparently have the situation where the Director of Public Health in
MI, stated that ferrets were never given a risk assessment but were always
killed and tested as a matter of course, in apparent violation of the MI law.

My question is, does this give the owners of the 211 ferrets killed and
tested since 1994 grounds to sue the state of MI?

Just wondering.

Dick B.