From:
"Michael Schieman, Mee Maw and ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:17:40 EST
                      A Ferret Christmas Story... Part 2

The sound of New Mother's cry struck fear into to the racing heart of
Dances with Joy as she quickened the pace of her downhill plunge toward the
sleeping camp below.  The sudden light in the nighttime sky continued to
grow ever brighter and brighter - so bright that she could hardly make out
the wrinkles of wisdom upon the face of Grandmother Moon.  The twinkling
lights of the Star Children were starting to fade and to wink out.

"Oh, Father Sun," she began to pray as she ran in terror and fear for the
safety of the about-to-be-born kit growing within her, "It's much too early
for you to wake up.  Please go back to sleep.  Yes, the wind is blowing
cold and the snow is biting at my paws; but You need Your rest."

Father Sun did not reply, for He was fast asleep.  The strange light in the
sky, a light that was beginning to strike panic into the heart of a very
small ferret, was coming from some other Source.  It's growing brightness
began to melt the new fallen snow, which instantly froze again as Brother
North Wind blew his winter breath from his home in the north - far away,
yet coming closer, as She Who Takes Warmth Away tightened her grip upon the
world.

Lost in her prayers and rising fear, Dances with Joy did not see the boulder
that blocked her frantic flight toward the camp and to the safety of those
she loved.  To this day she has no memory of running headlong into it.

A deep and infinite blackness settled into her consciousness.  She neither
knew nor cared about who or what she was; she could remember nothing before
the blackness came.  A severe headache became her entire universe, her
reason for existing.

Slowly, the pain started to retreat into memory.  Dances chanced to open
her eyes.  At first he was just a dim vision of something floating high in
a mid- summer sky, but Dances finally realized that she was seeing the
largest Golden Eagle that she had ever seen, and he was lazily spiraling
toward her in ever decreasing circles of joyous flight.

"This can't be right." She thought to herself as she watched Eagle float
ever closer to her.  "A moment ago winter was starting her walk across the
world.  I remember the feel of snowflakes melting in my whiskers.  I
remember the sound of a tiny voice that said something I could not
understand as each snowflake melted.  Now I feel the warmth of a summer
breeze ruffling my fur as it passes by.  This must be a dream."

Then - she didn't know if a moment or a century had passed by - Eagle came
to rest just a few feet from where she lay trembling in a clump of lush and
fragrant summer grass.

"Hello," said a young boy ferret as he climbed down from Eagle's back.  His
fur was such a light golden brown that Light seemed to shine from all
around him "My name is Jesse and I have some very good news for you."

To be continued...

Joy to the World!

Paw Paw