Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:06:51 -0400
Thanks to all--Sukie, Mary, Amy, Jadesen and Linda--for answering my
questions.  It's sad to learn that later neutering doesn't prevent this
illness and that so far there's no preventive supplement.  It just seems
in every issue of FML there are a lot of ferts with adrenal disease.
Reading about all the sick furkids makes me worry about Rocky, even
though he's still young (2 1/2) because he's my first and only ferret and
I have never been so bonded with any animal like I am with him.

On the issue of ferret diseases in general and what the cause is, I heard
(or read) somewhere that before ferrets became popular as pets, they were
used in labs.  Is this true?  If so, maybe the problem is genetic, since
labs would want them as genetically similar as possible.  It seems
plausible, as dogs and cats who are bred for certain characteristics tend
to have more illness, whereas the typical mixed cat (and perhaps mutt
dogs; I don't know much about dogs) seem so incredibly hardy.

Amy, your description of the "poofing" boys really made me laugh.  Thank
you!  The smell must be more offensive to ferrets than people.  My vet's
receptionist has 12 ferrets, with one undescented and they are all afraid
of him!

I know I've said this before, but you FML guys are really great.
Non-ferret people think we're "crazy"; I think "special" is a more
appropriate term.  Ok, maybe we're sillier than other pet people, but
you have to be to appreciate the antics and charm of ferrets!