From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:25:50 -0400
Tonight FACT took in 9 ferrets, all it appears between 1 to 2. They
were found in a box next to a mailbox. :(

We have them sheltered, flea (ACK) bathed w ears/nails cared for, but
we are way over capacity.

Worse, we got a call this week asking for info by someone who has 16
ferrets to place from the So. CT area. No phone to follow up and get
details, but we anticipate hearing that some or all can not be placed.

If any NE shelters have space for 1 or 2 adoptables, please let me
know. So far we are covered and do not need help with elderly or
special needs ferrets (though we always welcome potential foster
families)! So anyone we send you will not be old or hard to place.

Vanessa read in the Wall St. Journal that there were appx 600,000
foreclosures in 2009; but that because of the lag between stopping
mortgage payments and eviction, it's expected that there will be about
1 MILLION this year. Sadly, that also means a lot of pets that will
also be displaced. I receive posts daily about dogs, cats, livestock
in CT/NY needing homes and its just horrific reading.

For those who do not run a shelter, no matter where you live, please
contact the closest shelter and see what, if any, help you can provide!
$'s are great, but when shelter operators are overwhelmed like so many
are, just a night out somewhere, or a few hours of help or a few days
caring for a special needs animal can be more help than you will ever
know! As stress levels from the volume of animals needing help
increase, so does shelter operator burn-out! Having to say no to
someone in real need is unbearable!

Thanks to all who shelter and actively support the shelter community.
If you haven't been able to as yet, the right time to start is NOW!

Ann Gruden - Ferret Association of CT