From:
Teri VanDever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 07:13:27 -0600
<Friends or Foes?>

This is for those having problems with ferrets getting along.  We had Buddy
approx.  6 months when we decided to get our Tessa.  She was only 6 wks old
when we brought her home and Buddy was 1 1/2 yrs old (we think).  We put
Tessa down and Buddy out of his cage and the first thing he did was start
dragging her around by the scruff and trying to stuff her in his sleeping
box.  She would just screech!  So I would pull him off and we would try this
again.  Finally I gave up and let nature take its course.  Buddy would put
Tessa in the box and then stand guard.  After a few minutes she would climb
out and he would scruff her and then he just started playing with her.  I
guess the "who's dominant" game was decided and he knew he had won!  To this
day when he grabs her by the scruff she'll go limp and then he'll let go.
Buddy did the same with each of our new ones.  Crystal was 6 wks old when we
brought her home and Buddy then 2-3 and Tessa 1 yr old both educated Crys as
to their pecking order.  Bandit followed two weeks later.  I felt so sorry
for him in that cage all alone :) and he was 12 weeks old.  Same story,
except he was definitely faster than Buddy <grin> When Rascal was rescued
and came to live with the crew he was already a year old and bigger than
Buddy, but that didn't stop Buddy from teaching him as to who the Patriarch
is of this clan!  To this day (one yr later) Rascal will try to usurp
Buddy's position but Buddy still wins.  I have learned to just let them work
it out amongst themselves.  They all sleep together in their 3-story condo.
When out playing they have been known to gang up on one member but then
another time they get out-smarted if mom joins in and evens the odds.

I would just let your kids sleep together and stay together in the same
cage so they can work it out to their satisfaction. It might take a few
rounds but they'll adjust. Good Luck!

<Do ferts use all the levels of a cage?>

On the subject of cages.  We made an addition to our cage by buying a $25
rabbit cage that was 24x24x24 and attached it to the top of our existing
2-story cage.  We then cut a hole and put in a ramp so the fuzzies then had
two full sections to sleep and play on and the bottom for the litter boxes.
We put a blue jean leg over the ramps (jeans don't shred easily and won't
tangle in their claws) on the two layers I bought fake sheepskin at Wal-Mart
in the dog section (they use this to line kennels) this is easily cut to fit
and washable.  It also doesn't shred.  For their sleeping comfort I put in
one of those sleeping cushions you buy for cats/dogs and it too is washable.
Yes, our crew uses all levels.  They sleep on either of the top two levels,
there is water on both levels with food on the second level.  We recently
added another cage to the bottom (connected to the side) for Tessa (she's
been diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma and has good days and bad.).  I also put a
food dish and a water bottle on that section with her towels and a t-shirt.
She has taken to sleeping down there alot.  What's funny is when the other
four want to sleep there with her--it gets a little crowded!  That section
is only 12x12x24.  My SO says the ferrets have fancier living quarters than
we do and he calls it the "Ferret Condo."

Bandit has apparently been recruited to FLO!  We were sitting in the living
room when I heard the computer's speaker phone come on!!!  I went into the
dining room where the computer system is and sure enough there's Bandit on
the keyboard with his nose up against the screen :) I'm sure if I had left
him there long enough he would have dialed more than just one number.  It's
a good thing the mouse wasn't on the on-line button.  <Grin>

Buddy (I am KING! )
Tessa (I am the Contessa and very sweet and lovable--Mom can I have more
       medicine?)
Crystal (a.k.a. White Witch, I'm the one that taught ya'll how to climb
         that gate!)
Bandit (don't bother me, I'm busy hiding my stuffed bears and learning
        this 'puter stuff!)
Rascal ( When's snacks? Hey, Tessa's medicine is good!)