From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:42:19 -0400
Good Morning,

In my line of work, ignorance is bliss and sometimes the reason people
do not comply with laws - whether they be city ordinances, state
statutes, or even federal regulations - is just that they were not
aware that such laws existed and why. So, what harm is it to ask a
few questions before making the decision to contact law enforcement
and begin an investigation that may cause someone to loose their pet
ferrets or stop someone from helping homeless ferrets find a safe
place to go?

In my community, people are aware of the grave reality with the rescues
and shelters being filled to capacity. The economy is horrendous here
as it is all across the nation and foreclosures occur by the hundreds
in the immediate tri-state area each month. People know that if they
had to give up their pets, chances are unless they themselves found
a home for their beloved companions, their only option would be the
municipal shelters were they would be destroyed in a most horrendous
and frightening way. In many instances, THERE IS NO MORE ROOM AT THE
INN! With that in mind, I know of several people who have taken in at
risk pets - many from Craigslist - and these people were legitimate and
only wanted to help save a few animals from certain death. Having only
contacted the folks who were taking in ferrets, I have found a number
of people who are helping me help ferrets by taking in a few here and
there who might otherwise show up on my doorstep or ... worse. These
people love their own pet ferrets and understand the plight of homeless
animal everywhere and have stepped up to the plate to say, "yes, I will
help." Lives are being saved today because THEY are getting involved
in the rescue of ferrets and keeping them out of the kill shelters.
And I, in turn, outfit them with necessary equipment and what-not and
assist these folks in any way I can.

Now, none of these people ever gave a second thought as to whether or
not it was legal or not legal ... never thought about any of that at
all.

That is not to say that all people who are taking in animals off of
Craigslist or by other means are legitimate and have only the best of
intentions for these homeless pets --- I have seen the consequences of
this very thing myself with the snake dealers and dog fighters -- but
if they know there is "police" out there patrolling the waters, they
are less likely to continue. If nothing else, I email the posters to
advise them there are unscrupulous people out there that have nothing
but bad intentions for their pets. Some remove their posts, others just
thank me for the information and promise to be careful to whom they
place their pets with.

Although I am unfamiliar with NJ statutes and any and all federal
mandates regarding ferrets, ferret ownership, or shelters in general,
I do believe in contacting people before initiating any form of law
enforcement or agency investigation to determine for myself the
intentions of people taking in ferrets or any other animal. Just
because someone does not return a phone call or respond to an email
does not automatically convict that person of wrongdoing nor does it
warrant a criminal investigation and/or prosecution. Yes, that is
what that means to "turn in someone" to any agency or authority. It
means an investigation that may or may not result in some manner of
prosecution - be it leveling criminal charges or some sort of
administrative citations. Some could result in fines per charge or
citation; being prohibited from having animals for a certain period
of time; and possible jail time.

There are consequences to all actions and one must consider all things
and the result of any and all interventions before making any calls or
initiating any investigations. I am going through this very issue right
now with a petting zoo business and her use of ferrets in that
business.....I used three "spies" and confirmed all allegations before
I contacted anyone.

Even though I am well-known to every municipal shelter in the immediate
tri-state area, every Petco in this area and local vet offices, ferrets
slip through the system and it is comforting to me to know that I am
not the only one out there making sure these little ones get to safety
in whatever manner is necessary. And, for my part, a blessing that I
will assist in any way that I can to ensure it continues to be a safety
net for those that I miss somehow.

So, for anyone to make a carte blanche decision to turn in someone to
the authorities on the notion that they are acting improperly because
they are not licensed or otherwise not complying with some statute or
regulation is suggesting that all persons who take in ferrets
"illegally" is a criminal and needs to be stopped. You are wrong,
dead wrong. And the ones that ultimately suffer are the ferrets.

Thankfully, in this area, no such regs exist and anyone can setup a
small, in-home rescue of any kind of animals that can be legally owned.
There are thousands of these small, grass-roots rescues here and some
are not as good as others, I will admit....but most are just hanging
on by their fingernails trying to save as many as they can.

So, perhaps one could look into the situation BEFORE the authorities
are called. Talk to the, see for yourself if possible, you will know
if they are truly wanting to help ferrets and who are just out there
to collect, sell, or whatever. offer to help them "get legal". If you
are are rescue and shelter in an area that must comply with state or
federal regs...Good Lord!....help them complete the paperwork and get
them through the system. Don't just turn them in. You did it...help
them.

Is that not the endgame here?

Respectfully submitted,

Maren Doshier
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS