From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:44:46 -0400
In 20 years we've never seen a ferret get that close to death and turn
around.  The only thing we can figure out is that she apparently has a
very negative sensitivity to Lasix.  Talk about unusual.  We've never
had one do this with this med.  There were times yesterday when she lost
consciousness, times when she was barely breathing, times when her breath
was chilly feeling, etc.  The others ferrets first were afraid around her,
then decided to cuddle her, then reached the point where they were again
very afraid and nervous.  The odor she had was terrible but around 4 a.m.
it changed with a slight undertone of her regular sleep smell.  During
the wee hours, though, she stopped having any purple to her rear feet,
and her body stopped being so chilly.  At around 8 a.m. she was clearly
back with the living, and at 10:30 she decided to drink on her own.  She's
been getting flat pick guitar music, lots of attention, much sleeping on
us, and we are doing her care in shifts so that someone is always awake
and with her which means we are very tired.  We are waiting to hear from
her vet and I guess we'll likely be finding a home for some Lasix.

I somehow doubt we'll even be trying the Ovaban; she was already terminal
and surviving beyond the time anyone expected by pulling out all stops,
now her individual quirk that set off her collapse has likely done further
damage but no one had any reason to anticipate this.  That's one of the
things we all have to just try to remember, no individual of any species
is going to be text book in everything; all have their own individual
quirks and some of those quirks are whoppers.  Figured that you'd want
to know that this one collapses with Lasix and recovers mostly about 36
hours after it is stopped.  Normally, it would have been a very good med
for her to have, but this is just her.