From:
TROFEO91 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:40:03 EDT
If you read my last posting, Senator David Jaye (R-District 12) chairs the
Hunting, Fishing & Forestry Committee where HB5219 (H1) is collecting dust.

People have been in touch with his office, constituents in and out of his
district.  One person in his district called him and he said things like
"Gee, you're not far from my campaign headquarters.  Why haven't I seen you
there working?" "Maybe after the summer break, I'll consider the bill.  Why
don't you call me after the November election." This attitude is
fundamentally wrong.  A legislator, once he's in Lansing represents the
constituency of the ENTIRE state PLUS his "scratch my back, I'll scratch
yours" works with lobbyists but shouldn't be played with constituents.  He
then tried to pass the buck to Governor Engler by saying "Have you contacted
the Governor.  He's against this bill and feels it isn't important." I am
sure after the heat Gov.  Engler took last year in the Kodo incident, he
would dance lightly this time and throw it back to Sen.  Jaye and say "Hey,
you take care of this." The suggestion is writing to the Governor and
Senator Richard Posthumus (Senate Majority Leader) about Sen.  Jaye's
attitude.  REMEMBER THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR!!!!!!!  I've heard Gov.  Engler
called the "meanest legislator in Michigan" but Sen.  Jaye runs a strong
second.

Sen. Jaye is into a gun control bill with Ted Nugent (the "Motor City
Madman").  The word is Sen. Jaye fashions himself as an outdoorsman and may
seem to think this is an animal rights activist bill, which it is not.  It's
merely the people of Michigan deserving the same rights as everybody else
without the threat of the Health Dept.  misusing their authority and killing
beloved pets.  We need to get the legislature and the law in line with the
CDC.  This is a good bill on its own merit.  The House has done it's work
and now it's up to the Senate.

Addresses:
Gov. John Engler
State Capitol
P O Box 30013
Lansing, MI  48909

Senator Dick Posthumus (or any other Senator)
State Capitol
P O Box 30036
Lansing, MI  48909-7536

Come on, everybody!!!  It's time to rally.  The House and Senate is on a
2-week Spring Break now.  The Senate convenes April 14 and the House
convenes April 21 until June 11 for Summer Break.  We only have this little
window of opportunity because of election campaigns.  The primaries are
August 4 and then all Hell breaks loose until November 3.  None of the 3 I
mentioned above are going to be thinking about legislation, let alone ferret
legislation, so the time is now.  You can also work on other members of the
Senate.  Members of the Hunting, Fishing & Forestry Committee are Phillip E.
Hoffman (R-Dist 19), George A.  McManus (R-Dist 36), Dianne Byrum (D-Dist
25) and Christopher D.  Dingell (D-Dist 7).  I will tell you this, Sen.
Dingell is just as frustrated as the rest of us.  He has been trying
because his own SB616 is holed up somewhere by the same Committee.

Take care
Dee
Beau & Nilla