From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 20:48:04 EST
Hi everyone on the FML -

Well, I have been in touch with the people from Good Morning America several
times since my first (and only) post here about Mr. Hanna's possible appearance
on GMA regarding Ferrets.   Here's a copy of what I posted on Compuserve's
Ferret section in the Animals Forum.

Well, here's what's happening with the Jack Hanna appearance on Good Morning
America.

I called them again this morning to see whether or not they could confirm an
appearance relating to ferrets on their show.  They do have him scheduled for
December 16th, however, this appearance is going to be discussing "snowy
critters"  Patty Neiger, of GMA, said that this is to be your basic Xmassy
animals appearance including reigndeer (sp.).  They could not confirm whether or
not the show with ferrets would take place so we don't know anymore than last
week.

As noted earlier, you can call GMA at 1-212-456-5900.  They told me that they
would not know any more until next week.  I encourage everyone to call GMA and
let them know that you would like equal representation by ferret owners to
counter Mr. Hanna's opinion.  Let them know that you have heard that Mr. Hanna
is Anti-ferret ownership because he believes they are vicious and dangerous,
however, as a ferret owner, you would like them to know that this is not your
opinion and you would appreciate it if they would allow ferret owners equal
representation to counter Mr. Hanna's OPINION.

Also, if you would like to send GMA a letter expressing your views (nicely) you
can fax it to Patty Neiger at 212-456-7290.  Please try to give them information
that would help them understand that ferrets are not vicious.  If you run a
shelter, let them know about your ferrets and how just like dogs or cats an
abused ferret may lash out but well kept and cared for ferrets do not bite just
like dogs or cats.  Also if you have a Club that has a pamphlet of information
send it to them.  Let them know what your membership is like.  I would like them
to get the idea that there are lots of ferret owners out there and that we would
not appreciate a one sided interview with Mr. Hanna.

I will let you know how I make out, please let me know what information you all
get.  We can't let people like Mr. Hanna give ferrets a bad name.  Too many
areas are FFZs already.  I wouldn't want this guy to sway any more people.

Steven (Ferret Co-Section Leader)

I hope all here at the FML will call GMA and let them know that there are many
many ferret owners who disagree with what we have heard are Mr. Hanna's opinions
about ownership of ferrets.  I also hope that you will send faxes to GMA of an
informative nature to help them to understand that Mr. Hanna's opinions are only
one side of the picture and that there is much more to ferrets than his
opinions.

Thanks,

Steven Markowitz (Ferret Co-Section Leader/Section 2/Animals Forum/Compuserve)