From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 22:48:48 EDT
>I ask all of you out there to always test a business/shelter by doing
>this thought process before donating time and resources: Ask a question
>about the business/shelter that is financial in nature and if the
>answerer will not tell you, or says "it doesn't really matter" then
>there is something to be hidden.  If the organization says, "I'll have
>to check my big 'ol stack of receipts and papers" or offers SOME
>information, then at least you know they aren't outrightly hiding
>something.  Those who skirt issues often have something to hide.  This
>is a general statement that works for all facets of life.

I agree with accountability, but sometimes this may be months in arrears.
For many small shelter owners who have some 12-20 fuzzies, or more a day,
to bathe, clip, play with, clean up after, and feed it may be impossible
to pay for an accountant.  Many shelter owners also work to pay for
heating in winter and ac in summer.  Those bills are very high here on
the east coast of the US.  Strangely enough many people have not had
courses in accounting, and a ledger page freezes them.

Maybe someone needs to write a very simple accounting guideline for some
shelters who may need it and send it out.  This is how someone who can't
donate time, or is not near a shelter, or doesn't have a lot of funds to
donate can REALLY make a difference.

Warmly ~
Mary L. Conley, ND, Herbalist
Conley Farm Organic Herbs
Online Classes
www.Herbgrow30.com

From time immemorial it hasw been known that Providential Means have
placed in nature the prevention and cure of disease, by means of
divinely enriched herbs, plants, and trees.
          ~ Dr. Edward Bach