From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:03:56 EST
Dear Lyn,
Sorry if my post did not come across as I intended.  I did not mean to imply
that any behavior problems that you are experiencing with Ethan was your
doing.  When I stated that pets are a product of their environment I did not
mean that his moodiness was a response to a lack of love, patience or
respect on your part and I certainly would NEVER imply that you or any
member of your family have been or would be abusive toward him.  I, as you,
have had a number of unusual pets and obtained most of them due to
unfavorable conditions.  Some were aggressive and untrusting, others so
frightened that they urinated on themselves if we made sudden movements or
called to each other too loudly.  Not knowing you I could not know how much
experience or knowledge you have and just wanted to encourage you to keep
working with him and eventually he would probably come around.  The comment
about respecting an animal was directed more towards the kids because they
often forget that it is still a wild animal with certain inate instincts
that no amount of domestication can over-ride.  Also, I strongly disagree
with Jan Harvey who urged you to keep Ethan away from children.  I would
certainly not allow non- family members to have contact with Ethan but I
feel that it is imperative that all of your family takes part in training
him (unless your children are very small)!  Ethan's temperment may improve
but if your husband is his primary care giver he will most likely be the one
who reaps the rewards and you and the children may be left out in the cold!
I don't want to make any enemies but I think ANYONE who avoids contact with
a pet because they fear being bitten is better off with domestic animals.
The possibility of being bitten will ALWAYS be there given the right
situation and not handling the Ethan for that reason is depriving him and
yourselves of a possibly very rewarding relationship.  I understand your
concern for the subscriber requesting information on minks but I think the
"experts" are sometimes too caught up in science and fail to remember that
there are good and bad animals of every species.  I know that you must
remember the Doberman thing and now it is pitt bulls.  I never make a
blanket judgement on any species of animal because there will always be one
that comes along and proves the experts WRONG!  Considering the fact that
you sound like you have a good bit of experience with various animals I
would hope that you would not take to heart everything an "expert" says and
pass on what I consider negative information.  I try to limit the
information I pass on to what I know from personal experience and always
make a point of adding that this may not be true for all.

Sorry for any misunderstanding or bad feelings,
        Irena...Lucy's mom

P.S. Did this "skunk expert" get his information from a text book or from
one on one experience with an animals?  I'm sure you know that working
closely with ONE animal on a personal basis differs greatly from studying
animals on a scientific level!