From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:42:08 -0800
Congrats on your new babies!

Sneezing
I don't think it's normal.  Your baby Chewy may have come home with a
respiratory infection.  (I suspect that the cold that I and my ferts are
all trading around, right now, originally came home from Petco with
Satinka.) But if you're going to the vet soon he can probably tell you
what's up with that.

Ferret smell
Ferrets do have a basic smell, just like any animal does. But when they
are happy, healthy and clean, it should be a pleasant, mild musky smell.
(Since they are MF I'm sure they are neutered and descented, hopefully
correctly!)

Some possibilities to consider:
- What kibble are you feeding them? If it has a lot of fish in it, that
  could be your problem. I feed mine a mix of TF & Iam's kitten, plus mice.
- Have you cleaned their ears lately?
- Have they any scary green poops in their box?
- Don't bathe them more often than every 2 weeks or so, less often if they
  don't need it/aren't dirty.
- Do a poop patrol for hidden poopies.
- What kind of litter are you using in your box?  After experimenting a
  bit, I've finally settled on wood stove pellets as the cheapest
  alternative that is safe for them, plus for some odd reason it doesn't
  smell very much.

Getting ferts to like treats

Two of my ferrets (Grover and Loki) originally were not big on treats.  All
Grover would eat were the tidbits, and Loki wouldn't take anything that
wasn't kibble, except for nutri-stat.  Loki would look around mournfully at
treattime when everyone else got some, but whatever I offered him, he would
not take.  Eventually what I started doing is taking a bit of nutri-stat
and rubbing it on a treat, he started by licking it off and then eventually
started eating the treat, too!!!  And since then I've started keeping all
their treats (banana chips, raisins & craisins pieces, and tidbits) all in
the same little tupperware container.  Since I've been doing this Grover
will eat other treats too, and Loki is now eating treats w/o the nutri-stat
"bribe".  Yay! :-)  I guess the scents mingled???  (They only get a couple
treats a day, btw... though they get as much hairball stuff as they want,
a couple times a week.)

Hope this helps,
(WA-state) Megan & Grover, Onyx, Loki G, Satinka and Cherry
& Cinnebar-the-cat!