From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:26:38 -0700
Hello everyone!

Ok...here is my question...If you bring a kit home ..or any other ferret
for that matter...how can you keep them completely quarantined?  From what
I have read (still a new mommy) ADV can attach itself to clothing and
skin.  So, wouldn't keeping a kit in a separate cage, in a separate part
of the house, on separate litter and food and bedding still have a risk of
spreading ADV?  You would have to shower and change and wash your clothing
everytime that you touched the new kit.  Wouldn't you?  What about other
animals like dogs and cats....wouldn't they spread it on their fur too?

I am not saying that quarantining them is bad...please don't get me wrong.
I just wonder how you can keep them and your older ferrets completely
safe.  What about if you go to get a ferret either at a store of from
someone you take an ADV testing kit with you?  Would that work?

I recently added two new kits (right after Christmas) and while they have
their own cage and stuff I didn't quarantine them in a separate room.
Right or wrong, I just didn't.  Maybe I didn't really think that they
would have any problems.  After hearing about the ADV reports...well yes,
of course I am worried.  So, how to you keep them completely quarantined?
Or am I wrong about how easily it spreads?

Joanne