From:
Michael Capps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 02:48:35 -0500
We've adopted a Ferret who is over 6 years old.

He is unsteady on his feet, he seems to have trouble or weakness in his
hips and his tail is bald. When we let him out for play time he usually
will head straight for a sack or pile of linen and curled up to sleep.

We had him in to the vet where the did x-rays, ecgs, and blood work. He
has been diagnosised with Insulinoma and he's probably adrenal.

We've started him out on the lowest dose of Prednisone for his
Insulinonma (his blood sugar level was 42 and 52 on two different days
before the prednisone). We have not tested his sugar on the prednisone.
We have noticed a little bit of an increase in the alertness in his eye
and he seems to wake more easily and maybe slightly more active. We
up'd his dose of prednisone by a third but still no real change in his
behavior. Also not I think he probably has loss muscle mass from what
he should normally have but since I haven't seen him before this I'm
not sure.

He apparently has had this condition for a while and my question is do
we continue to let him out and do what he wants or should we not let
him sleep and keep him moving during play time?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you

Mike