From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:42:05 -0500
Hi,

I have a new ferret who is only about 13 weeks old.  Unfortunately, I am
also only a 4 week fuzzie mom, so I am at a loss here.

My baby, Luna, has been ill.  I took her to the vet, who incidentally, gave
her a rabies shot way too early, but before that, she has been sickly and
not quite right.  I just have a feeling it is more than a cold.  We have
been to 2 vets and one emergency vet and all say she has a cold and to just
feed her and make sure she drinks.

Ok, I am doing that.  She prefers the cat food to the ferret food and no
amount of ferretone will make her eat it.  I have made a special liquid of
ferret food, water, nutri-cal, vitamins and ferre-vite.  She takes a bit
(through a syringe) of it at a time but seems to be getting smaller and
weaker.  I see her eat, so I don't know what's up.  She doesn't have
diarrhea (sp?).  It is very confusing.

She LOVES Gatorade.  I hope this is ok for her, because I am watching her
take liquid which makes me feel better.  I am going to try cooked chicken
tonight and see if that interests her taste buds.

Her and the younger ferret play and fight and dook at times, but she just
wears out fast.  I am the warming seat for her, because she crawls under
my dress or shirt or pants and lays on my chest or stomach.  FOR HOURS.

She was sneezing and that has stopped, and all the doctors have said she
is clear in the lungs and clear in the intestines.  Am I just over worried
or does it take longer for ferrets to recover from colds than it does for
humans and dogs and cats?

Any help would be appreciated.

April Gallaty and Luna, Sola, Nutt the cat and Bridgette the Pom

Visit us at http://www.geocities.com/~april_gallaty