From:
Sherri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:48:09 -0400
Hi Charlene and all . . .

>is it possible for mites to get into the brain . . .

Factually, I don't know and will not claim to know if it is possible for ear
mites to chew through the ear and into the brain.  Any vets or pathologist
out there know about this?

The lab didn't actually send a report to my friend, just called to tell her
that they did not find rabies and they saw no reason for her daughter to be
treated for rabies exposure.  They said they did find ear mites.  Kelly
can't remember if they actaully said the mites were *in* the brain (I called
and asked her)--perhaps her relief over the rabies question overshadowed the
rest of what she was told.

Does anyone think a pathology report on this animal is available, after a
year?  I think I would like to see it, now that I have a ferret again.  I'll
call animal control and see if I can get them to send me a report.

I don't think I could have stopped them from destroying her, though,
according to the quarentine etc. thingy in this morning's FML.  Unprovoke d
attack, followed by major behavior/personality change seems to invariably
lead to animal being put down for pathology examination.

As you can imagine, I freak out at any sign of mites.  I think I've been
treating Pepper for mites when he just has waxy ears.  It's a reddish brown
wax, so thick it's almost black sometimes, and looks like what I've always
associated with mites.

Anyway, I'll try to get that report.  It could be simply that there were ear
mites in the ears, and the translation from lab to friend to me (and to
you-all) may have been misleading.  I'm the last person who would want to
start a panic for ferret owners, which is why I tried to explain the
background story--that I believe human-error had much to do with the
ferret's behavior.  As I've said, I've never met a ferret that was caged all
the time and *wasn't* crabby.  They've got way too much energy for constant
confinement.

--Sherri