Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:51:36 -0800
When researching what I needed to know before getting ferrets, a big
concern was diet.  I knew I would not do the BARF thing, at least not
little chickies and mousies.  So on to find the best commercial food.
Read an article in a ferret magazine comparing foods/ingredients.  One
always came out the winner in proper nutrition.  At the end of the article
I noticed it was written by the producer of that food.  Hmmm.  I've since
re-read the article several times, and I do feed that food to my guys,
along with 2 others mixed with.  I've read that ferrets do not need nor
can use the *friendly gut bacteria* that is listed on some labels of
ferret food.  This info from very knowledgeable folks on FML.  In a new
catalogue there is a ProBiotic Digestive Tract Conditioner designed to
enhance a ferrets ability to efficiently absorb nutrients etc. etc.  Have
I not read the latest correct info about a ferrets little kissable tummy.
Or is this a case of someone always willing to take my money.  My vet
wants our 1 year old Lab with Dysplasia/arthritis in both elbows on a BARF
diet.  OK, I can meet half way.  The cow/turkey is already dead and
conveniently ground up.  Soup bones are found in the meat case, not
moving.  Serve with a commercial dog food I found that MUST be great.
After all, it says *holistic* in great big letters right on the front of
the bag.  Vet said to pay attention to the AAFCO on the bag of any pet
food.  There is a 40# bag of lamb/rice at Costco for about $14.  My 40#
*holistic* is $33.  Both have the AAFCO.  Now what!!?  Back to Ferret
food.  OK, I can boil a couple of already dead chicken legs, grind the
meat, mix with soaked in broth kibble.  I make a batch, freeze in cubes,
thaw/warm as needed.  They love it, not too unreasonable for me.  No
screaming.  I put towels in the bath tub, they get to eat/play with the
bones in there.  Lot's easier clean up.

In Touch, Ardith

mailto:[log in to unmask]