From:
sargentcolburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:01:31 -0400
Dear Ferret Folks-

Here are some alternative ferret enrichment exercises that our ferrets
have designed for THEMSELVES.  We don't like them very much, really.

Clean laundry diving: Wash dry, and fold a basket full of clean laundry.
Live dangerously, and leave it on the floor.  Not only do the ferrets
enjoy the tactile experience of tunneling through and unfolding each and
every article of clothing, (Corduroy, ooh!) there is the practical side
benefit of their rubbing all of their un-needed fur against the fabric.
No more hair balls!

Plant digging: We haven't made a digging box for our ferrets, we don't
need one.  They are just as happy to dig in our houseplants.  Enhance the
olfactory experience for them, and water often.  It makes the dirt smell
so much richer.  It also sticks to the carpet better, too, when it's wet.
Mud is an aid to their manual dexterity.  Plus, it's so much easier to
fling long distances.

Hefty Bag Surfing: This one is an aid to their problem solving abilities.
The challenge is to find a way to get inside of the bag after it has been
tied shut and knotted.  Gnawing a hole in the side stimulates their teeth
and gums.  Strewing the contents across the kitchen floor is an artistic
act of personal expression that they find especially fulfilling on the
spiritual level.

The ultimate exercise, of course, is to combine all three of these
activities.  My ferrets did this tonight.  I am considering the
possibility of specifically enriching myself, body and soul, with a
liberal amount of bourbon.

Sincerely,
Alexandra in Massachusetts