Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:07:55 -0800
>got the answer that this basic work on ferrets does not exist

Is it any wonder that such "basic work on ferrets does not exist"
(regarding genetic ability to digest carbs) when there is no actual
"basic work" on a ferret's nutrient requirements reported in scientific
journals? Oh wait  -  Bob Church HAS done a great bit of research
regarding ferret's diet influence AND his work has been published!
"Ferret Husbandry and Medicine" describes well the carnivorous needs
of ferrets. Those of us who venture beyond the advertisers and listen
to our ferrets already know that a scientific study isn't really
necessary.

It is not a hypothesis that a ferret lacks a cecum it is fact. The
cecum's function is not to digest or breakdown carbs and sugars, its
function is to break down cellulose (plant fibers). Humans HAVE a
cecum AND an appendix. Dogs and cats have a cecum, even wolves do, as
do birds and some reptiles  -  but our furry friends the ferrets, do
NOT. The human appendix was formerly though to have no purpose but has
recently discovered as a beneficial bacterial repository and tissue
back up for urinary tract troubles. Herbivores have HUGE cecums because
they need to ingest massive amounts of plant matter in order to thrive.
Since ferrets evolved as obligate carnivores  -  nature eliminated
unnecessary parts.

So the original dog-like wolf ate the dredges and wastes produced by
human society, stuck close to an easy meal ticket and developed into
the domestic dog. Science now shows a gene that allows the domestic
canine to produce amylase from their pancreas at 28 times what the wolf
does (proving the wolf produces this amylase too). The jury is still
out whether this increase happened BEFORE or AFTER human association.
Dogs suffer from similar cancers as humans.... which we then study to
locate medicines for humans. When did cancer become a benefit? Humans
CAN digest raw meat too - but we benefit more from it when it is
cooked!

Look at the diet of ferrets and their common health ailments; this
science has simply vindicated raw feeding proponents. Ferrets on kibble
diets inevitably suffer from insulinoma (cancer from the pancreas
having to consistently produce huge amounts of enzymes to digest
foods the ferret was not designed to eat). IBS is a common too;
bowels irritated by stretching to pass massive amounts of abrasive
indigestible grains and tough fibers day after day. No mouse morsel,
raw meaty bones or organ meat meal EVER creates the huge deposits that
kibble forces through a ferret's system. Effects of kibble on dentition
is well documented by Bob Church.

The ferret pancreas produces digestive enzymes to quickly break down
animal tissue; if called upon to create enzymes to break down massive
amounts of carbs and sugars  -  the cells go haywire and tumors result.

Scientists may have found a gene expressed by domestic dogs allowing
them to gain some benefit from carbs and that same gene IS found within
the Wolf (but isn't as active); this does NOT equate to feeding
carnivores a carb infused, grain filled, plant based diet that is just
all hunky dory! Last I looked the carnivore teeth of domestic dogs,
cats and ferrets have NOT evolved into carb grinding molars.

Cheers,
Kim