Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:02:13 -0400
I am allergic to our three ferrets, and here's a few things we do so
that I can enjoy playing with them and having them in our house, even
with all of the windows shut.

First, we have NO litter or shavings or anything else in the cage, or
in the house. They are trained to do their business on newspaper (and
yes, we go thru a lot of newspaper), but there is no dust, no dirt or
balled up pee or poop, grime, and we clean out the bottom of the cage
every day with a simple Lysol wipe. We change the newspapers 3 times
daily.

Second, I wear a surgical type mask when I am directly handling them
for any length of time. I get the masks thru Amazon . com, and
depending on what kind you get, they can be pretty cheap.

Third, each ferret gets about 0.5 ml daily of ferretone. Not only is
it a treat for them, but it keeps their fur and coats beautiful and
reduces shedding to almost nothing (for the vast majority of the year,
other than during coat changes).

Also, we have an air filter in most rooms of the house, and they run
when all of the windows are shut (cold weather season). They clean and
ionize the air (they're a good idea even without ferrets).

I'm sure that there are other ways to fight the allergies, but these
have worked VERY well for me.

Jeff
Remembering Neo
Caring for Trinny, Morphy, and Baby Girl