From:
Susan Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:26:36 -0700
Dooks to all,

Eric has just taken about 50 years off my life!  He had his tail removed
recently when a lump was found at the end of it.  We've had the path done
and Wayne will be posting it soon but it was cancer.

His heart's not sounding good either which could be as a result of the
op but we don't know.  So, I have had the ferts out with me all day
downstairs which I haven't had the luxury of doing for awhile.  (A
recent accident forces me to rest my back.)

I left a cupboard door open for literally a couple of minutes, I was sure
Eric was asleep in the hammock.  Called him without success.  Called him
again, rattled food bowl.  Nothing.  I call him again, rattling food bowl
and whistling and walking all round house to find him.  Nothing.

The cupboard door was not finished by the BBC (long story but we were
on DIY SOS recently, the ferrets were stars, I have the proof on Kazaa
Lite!!!) and leads direct to the foundations of the house as well as the
kitchen.

I get squeaky toy for emergencies only and squeak through the house.
Nothing.  Okay, NOW I'm panicking.  I call Wayne and ask him when he
expects he'll be back from fixing his brothers car.  "About an hour."
he says, "Why?"

"I've lost Eric." I say, feeling sick, "The cupboard door was open for a
moment."

"I'm on my way."

I go back to the lounge, squeaking and calling.  Suddenly there's a
quiet rustle in the corner.  I squeak again and there, THANK GOD is Eric
yawning amiably as he stumbles out from under the chair, blinking.

I pick him up, he falls straight back into a deep sleep.  I lie on the
sofa for, about an hour it feels like, to catch my breath and calm my
pulse.

While Eric sleeps and dreams across me, I thank God for giving me back my
ferret and wonder, in amazement, at the fantastic man I share my life
with, the amazing love of my life who's immediate response to any ferret
drama is to come straight home.  Amazing.

It was our anniversary a few days ago.  He gave me the universe.  I only
just realised.

I love you, Wayne.

Love Susan

(He's just walked through the door and is getting me some chocolate!!!

When Susan goes to sleep all the weasels go to sleep, the fat boy in the
hammock, the brown one in the socks and lector the old softy in the shape
of a street wise weasel.