From:
Amy and Dave Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:43:04 -0000
>Hoping someone can help me here.  A customer was telling me today that
>high protien creates a higher stomach ph which prevents bladder and kidney
>stones.  Has anyone else ever heard of this?????  It doesn't sound right,
>high fiber = stones, but protien??...
>Kathy Goodhart

Kathy, I do have some first-hand knowledge of bladder stones, and I'm not
sure that protein deters them.  I had a ferret who had bladder stone
problems most of her life and she was put on some of those special Hill's
Science Diet diets for a while, and I had to supplement that with high
protein foods such as cottage cheese and eggs.  Eventually we found a
medicine combination that worked so we abandoned the special diet.

I believe that part of the reason some ferrets are more prone to stones has
to do with heredity, and the levels of acidity and akalinity in the urine.
Why Claudia had so many problems I don't know, but all of the other ferrets
I've had have been on the same diet and she was the only one with a stone
problem.

So I guess I didn't answer your question but maybe gave you some food for
thought.

Good luck!

Amy, Dave & Sarah (and their gaggle og giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra and Claudia