From:
Beth A McLean-1 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 20:54:13 -0500
i've been reading FML for awhile but this is the first time i've
written--i'm the keeper of two wonderful fuzzies, otter & possum.
otter is a svelte female sable and possum is lumbering male silver mitt.

in the last issue those chirping eggs they sell at some nature stores
was suggested as a ferret toy -- i got one some months ago & introduced
it to my pair.  possum wasn't interested, but otter was fascinated by
the chirping sound.  she'd look at me and look at the egg as if to ask
"where's the little animal?  i hear it but i can't see it!"  otter
normally doesn't make a sound unless she's in a heated wrestling match
with possum, but this egg really got to her.  she chooked and clucked
at it, walking around it to see if there was a way inside.  she'd egg-
roll it a little distance then stop because the sound had stopped.
finally she'd just give up and ignor it -- until she'd hear that noise
a week later and start the investigation over again.

i don't know how sturdy these eggs are -- i only let 'em play with it
when i was around & don't have it now since i left it behind at my
parents' house -- so you may want to monitor play with it.  watching their
reactions will make it worth while!

beth, otter & possum